Udgivet d. 13. januar 2023

If you are moving from Denmark

If you are resident in Denmark and move abroad for more than 6 months there are some things, you must remember:


If you are resident in Denmark and move abroad for more than 6 months, before you leave the country you must make sure to register the departure.

  • You must report the departure to the municipality in which you live.
  • You do not need to know your address abroad. You can later use the self-service to provide your foreign address.
  • You must report the move before departure.

The report must be made digitally. Not all notices of relocation are registered immediately. You will receive a notification from the municipality when the move is registered in CPR.

If you do not have the opportunity to serve yourself online, you can get help from citizen services or the library.


Tax (Skat)

We recommend that you call Tax on +45 72 22 28 92 after you have moved and deregistered from the Population Register, CPR. They make a decision on your tax liability immediately, if possible, and otherwise guide you in what to send to the Tax Office about your move.

You may well receive residual tax or holiday pay even if you are deregistered from CPR.


Bank and NemKonto

You must close your bank account when you move from Denmark. If your bank does not charge you a fee for having the account, it is ok to keep it. Otherwise, you can switch NemKonto to an account abroad:

NemKonto abroad

Citizens who have left Denmark and live abroad can also have a NemKonto. If you have left Denmark and receive public benefits, you can also register a NemKonto.

You are not obliged to have a NemKonto when you have left Denmark. But if you receive public benefits, and if you want to, you can register a NemKonto.

Your NemKonto can easily be an account in a foreign bank. You yourself help to choose your NemKonto. You can choose either a foreign bank account or a bank account in a Danish bank when you are logged in to self-service.


You can always contact ALT-HR or Borgerservice, Skat or NemKonto via their websites for help.